- 225g / 8 oz Crozier blue (or your favourite cheese – not too strong)
- 90 ml / 3 fl oz sweet wine
- 90 ml / 3 fl oz cream
- 1 large pinch chopped chives
- Milled black pepper
- 1 bunch Asparagus, peeled, trimmed, blanched refreshed under cold water and drained
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut or olive oil
Crozier blue is a lovely Irish Sheep’s cheese, not so strong it overpowers the asparagus, complimenting it just right. This is a great starter for a dinner party. It couldn’t be simpler. Your ramekins can be prepared hours earlier, only to be stuck in the microwave when your guests are seated. Serve with a little bread if you want but dipping the asparagus into the fondue could be quite enough.
Mix the cheese, wine, cream salt and pepper and divide between 4 ramekins.
Turn your cooked asparagus in the hazelnut or olive oil. Arrange it on plates. When serving, microwave the ramekins on high for 90 seconds. Remove, stir and microwave again for 30 seconds until hot and bubbly.
Ref An Irish Adventure with Food
The Tannery Cookbook